Thursday, January 21, 2010

B is for Blankie

I hold on tight to the beat up blanket, letting all my fear go away. I stroke its soft material, trying to get the terrible image out of my head. Tighter and tighter I squeeze it. I struggle to find the one spot on it, ribbon, and then I find it. A smile creeps onto my face and I am relieved. I don't know what I would do without it. It is more special than anyone could have imagined.

Blankie has been the most special thing in my life, and still is. As you may have guessed, Blankie is a blanket. I sleep with her every night and I go everywhere with her. She is made of white flannel material with a pattern of colourful teddy bears and polka dots. Blankie is bordered with soft blue silk ribbon, which is my favourite part about her. She always makes me feel better when I'm sad and she helps me get through hard times, like if I'm sick. She may be ripped and torn, but Blankie is more than just a blanket to me, Blankie is like a best friend. She's always there when I need her. The good thing about her is that she will last forever.

Before I was born, my great grandmother, Nonnie, sewed a blanket for my brother when he was very little. But my brother, Ken, did not sleep with it that much. So when I was born, my brother gave me the blanket, and I have loved it ever since. Over the years, I have brought Blankie with me everywhere, so as you can imagine, she has gotton very torn and ripped. In school, I always brought her in for show and tell because she is so special, and she is a part of me. But no one understands the real importance of her. She is special to me in so many ways.

A little while ago, I went into an Abercrombie store, and I saw a t-shirt that was really pretty, but also very soft. Then I had the idea of replacing Blankie with this t-shirt. I didn't want to have Blankie get more ruined because she could have fallen apart any day. I bought the t-shirt which was pink and made it more like Blankie. I sewed on ribbon onto the t-shirt, and I sewed some more ribbon onto the bottom of the shirt. I named the shirt Peachy, because the colour is a little bit peach coloured. I put Blankie away into the closet, so she wouldn't get ripped any more. Now, I sleep with Peachy, and sometimes, I even wear Peachy. But every once in a while, I need a little more cheering up from Blankie, so I take Blankie out of the closet and stroke her soft material.

Blankie is very special to me, although she may not seem that special to others. She is a part of me, and nothing will seperate me from her. She is my best friend that will be with me forever.

LIFE LESSON: Everyone has something special. Others may not know the importance of it, but that doesn't mean it is not important.

No comments:

Post a Comment