Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Empathy


Then, late one afternoon, Parvana came home from work to find two men gently helping her father up the steps to the apartment. He was alive. At least part of the nightmare was over.
pg. 154, The Breadwinner

Addiction. When I feel empathy while reading a book, I get addicted, and I can't stop reading.
Parvana saw her father being half carried up the steps to her apartment. Her father was home and alive. Somehow he was released from the prison, and finally free to return to his worried family. As I read this passage, I felt empathy for Parvana. My father goes away for business many times, and he is gone for the longest time. I know how Parvana felt when she saw her father. The same way I feel when my father comes home from work, happiness.

That passage is an example of good writing, and I felt empathy when I read that because I could relate to what Parvana was feeling for I have felt that feeling many times before. Creating empathy in a book is very challenging, but makes the story interesting and it makes the reader want to read more.

I think one way a writer can create empathy, is with the character or situation. Of course, the character would have to be realistic, someone a reader can easily relate to, along with the situation. If the situation they are in is common, then the readers may feel empathy for them because they might have been through the same thing, or something similar. For example, I felt empathy for Parvana because I feel the same way when my father comes home from long business trips. I'm sure many people felt empathy for Parvana because that situation is very common for working dads. It was a common situation many people could relate to. To create empathy through the situation, try to think of a situation you have been through, or a character like yourself, so that you feel empathy when you read the story. That is one way you can create empathy in your writing, by making the character like you, and the situation something similar to something you've been through.

Another way a writer can create empathy is describing the character and situation well. Whenever I feel empathy from a book, it's usually because it is very well written. The writing has to be descriptive so the reader can fully understand it and picture it in their mind. For example, when Parvana's father came home, Deborah Ellis (author of The Breadwinner) described Parvana's emotion on how she felt about her father's homecoming. She used lots of description, and I could imagine what Parvana was feeling because of how many adjectives and adverbs she used. Whenever I see someone I haven't seen in a long time, I feel the way Parvana felt. I could really imagine what Parvana was feeling because of all the description and adjectives used. That is another way a writer can create empathy, using lots of description.

With these ways in your writing, you will surely create empathy in your writing. Writing empathy is very challenging, but creating empathy in your stories makes the reader enjoy your stories at a higher level.

2 comments:

  1. Very impressive work Erika. I like how well you explain the topic. You astonish me with the length. I have trouble writing 3-4 paragraphs while you have 6. You have done very well to prove your point. I'm not surprised that you were in L Weldons top 5. Keep up the great work Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika you are really good at blogging your length is astonishing you wrote 6 paragraphs and everyone of them are interesting. You have a really good point about working parents. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete